Labor on site can be hard and dangerous, we understand that. It is infected with workplace hazards such as injuries, skin abrasions and bruises. Luckily for you, protective gear like rigging gloves, high visibility vests, helmets, etc. have evolved a lot to protect us from just these kinds of accidents. Protective gear comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, each serving a specific purpose. Something like a glass protects our eyes from pollutants and sparks, while helmets protect us from rogue scraps and increase our visibility at the same time. Here we will take a look at a crucial part of the armor, the gauntlet, and try to understand the role it plays and its importance.
The humble glove
Recorded history suggests that gloves, in one form or another, evolved thousands of years ago. Even cave paintings from the prehistoric era show the use of gloves for various purposes. But what we can see from these paintings is the fact that our ancestors used these gloves as a protective tool during hunting and gathering. Now let’s take a look at the different types of gloves that we have come across throughout the ages.
- industrial gloves One of the widest applications of gloves can be found in the commercial and industrial space. There are various designs that can be found in this genre like aircrew gloves, chain mail gloves, leather work gloves, gardening gloves, rigging gloves, medical gloves, rubber gloves, surgical gloves etc. These are a staple in the industrial sector and they serve a very critical purpose here, safety. Something like a couple rigging gloves is absolutely essential for a person engaged in the dangerous business of rigging cables and heavy wires. Leather work gloves can help protect our palms and fingers from being fried in the event of an oven accident or something of a similar nature. Fire resistant gloves are widely used by firefighters while performing their hazardous jobs. One of the other priorities for these gloves is maintaining hygiene and cleanliness. Latex surgical gloves are designed in a way that minimizes the risk of contamination and infection during operations and other medical procedures to a very high degree. They are usually single-use as a measure to maintain their effectiveness. If you’re in a field that involves workplace hazards, we highly recommend getting a good pair of gloves first, as it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- sports gloves- The use of gloves can be widespread in sports, and almost every sport involves the use of gloves for one purpose or another. In cricket, batsmen use gloves to protect their fingers, while wicketkeepers use gloves to improve their catching skills. In soccer, goalkeepers use gloves to improve their grip. In motorsports, racers and motorcyclists use gloves as a protective tool in the event of a crash. In some cases, gloves serve certain highly specialized purposes, as in the case of diving, where gloves reduce drag.
- Gloves in fashion For a long time, gloves have been widely used as fashion clothing. If you look at any vintage photograph from the Victorian era or other contemporary images, you will see people wearing gloves as an accessory. Gloves were also worn by royalty, with almost every monarch and VIP sporting silk gloves or fancy gloves.
- Gloves in defense- The armed forces use different types of gloves in large quantities. All three branches of the armed forces and even the special forces use special gloves. Snipers use gloves to protect their hands from scratches and cuts, while fighter pilots use them to get a better grip on the controls and to protect their hands from the extreme temperatures they may be exposed to. Submarines use gloves to improve their performance on deck.
Apart from these, there are specialized gloves like fingerless gloves which are widely used in gyms and winter gloves are used by people living in cold weather areas as a shield against the extremely chilly temperatures. Now let’s take a look at the various benefits of using a good quality pair of gloves.
- Jobs like a rigger or linemen need gloves to protect their skin from scratches, nicks, cuts, etc.
- It is important for people working with chemicals to use a glove as they can act as a barrier against caustic chemicals.
- Gloves are part of the daily attire of people living in extreme geographical areas as they protect them from physical harm.
- Gloves are a critical part of sports as they provide a degree of protection to the players while at the same time increasing their efficiency.
- Gloves help maintain hygiene and cleanliness, thereby reducing the risk of contact-based diseases.
- Gloves are an essential fashion accessory and can really enhance one’s look when matched correctly with the right attire.
Gloves play a number of important functions in our society. Everything from leather work gloves that silk dress gloves is important in its own ways. We suggest you do your research and find the perfect pair for your needs.